Joan Barreda – “It was like dune motocross today”
Team HRC rider Joan Barreda is fast proving to be the rider to beat in this year’s OiLibya Rally of Morocco with the Spaniard claiming his second stage win.
With the Rally of Morocco returning to the dunes following a day in the mountains, Barreda was on fire as he scorched his way through the desert. Despite starting fifth on the road, the Spaniard won stage three by almost two and a half minutes from Chilean Chaleco Lopez.
“Today I had lot’s of fun attacking and trying to catch back the overall lead. It was like dune motocross out there,” told Barreda.
His second stage victory now puts him back on top of the overall standings and he holds a seven minute and 27 second advantage over second placed Paulo Goncalves.
The stage win also marks the third straight victory for Honda, who are off to an perfect start with their new CRF 450 Rally
“It’s incredible to get a third win for Honda in this rally. It’s been a very important day for us and we’ve made up a lot of time.”
With three stages left to run, Barreda is looking good to repeat his OiLibya Rally of Morocco win of 2012.
Provisional Results Stage 3:
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) 2:43:57 hrs
2. Chaleco Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:02:29
3. Jeremias Israel (CHL, Speedbrain) +00:04:39
4. Sam Sunderland (GBR, Honda) +00:04:43
5. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) +00:06:17
6. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Honda) +00:07:44
7. Javier Pizzolito (ARG, Honda) +00:08:25
8. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +00:08:27
9. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Speedbrain) +00:11:55
10. Kurt Caselli (USA, KTM) +00:12:09
Overall Standings after Stage 3:
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) 8:03:44 hrs
2. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Honda) +00:07:27
3. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) +00:07:41
4. Chaleco Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:10:52
5. Sam Sunderland (GBR, Honda) +00:14:16